I had ideas for a whole five on friday post which I haven't done in forever but decided I'd focus on our kitchen upgrade and share some of my favorites from our kitchen.
Here are a few before pics.
When I see these pictures all I see is orange! That's what I always said- everything is just so orange!
And now the after pics:
Ok to be fair- the before pics look especially terrible because the lights were on and I took the pics with my iphone and the after pics are in natural light with a camera. But still- just seeing this is so gratifying! We are thrilled with how it turned out.
What we did:
1. Replaced the original builder's grade laminate with level 1 granite. We were on a budget and didn't want to spend much since we aren't likely staying here forever! I went to the granite store and said "I want the whitest and cheapest granite you have." And that's what we got. I think it is called Dallas White.
2. We had our cabinets painted white. Our sweet painter had never painted cabinets before and I think it's safe to say he won't be doing them again. I think he under quoted us for all of the work that they needed. He spent a lot of time priming and sanding the cabinets, painting the cabinet boxes and then spraying them and doing a whole other coat once they were hung again and then touch ups.
We used Benjamin Moore White Dove and are very happy with the color.
Painting the cabinets made a huge impact but if you look closely you can see some paint chipping off around the knobs from my nails. They are not perfect and I'm sure they will need touch ups every few months, but it was definitely more economical and our cabinets were in really good shape so getting all new cabinets was never even considered.
3. Christian installed the white subway tile backsplash. I was really pushing for hiring someone but he insisted he would do it better (perfectionist- he is!) So the money we saved from that made up for the 3 full weekends that I had my kids by myself ;) We chose grey grout to pull in the grey walls and grey in the granite. I have never loved grey grout and usually preferred white (like in our old house) but I'm so happy we went with grey in this kitchen.
4. Next I painted our Pottery Barn bar cabinets black and found some accessories for the floating shelves and finally found art that I love (from Target) for above the bar cabinets.
5. Now I need your help. We still have our espresso Pottery Barn table and espresso Target chairs and we just can't decide if we should paint them- black? white? or buy new? And what color to buy? We attempted many times, unsuccessfully to strip the table and stain it to be natural like the floating shelves and no good came from that (and a very frustrated husband.) So what do you think? I'd love to hear your opinions.
And I just can't find a mirror that I love to hang on that big grey wall. I just bought this one from Target and love this one from West Elm but they seem like they're too small for the space.
And if you haven't seen our previous house kitchen renovation you can click here to see our IKEA kitchen.
Hope you have a happy weekend!